Monday 26 December 2011

RIP Tom

 

Today I found out that Tom had died. I couldn't believe it. I only saw him on Monday, happy and healthy. The shock is unbearable.  Every time I walked into the stable today I kept expecting his head over his door, him nickering for food. Being the last one out and the last one in. Him and Quincy just ambling about.  Then when it came to feeding time nearly making him a feed then realising that I don't have to. Never being able to chat to him again or stroke him, or even tell him off again seems like a massive sacrifice. Nothing that I feel right now compares to the grief that Laurie and Judy must be feeling. They barely noticed it was Christmas day yesterday because of Tom's absence. He died of Colic. It developed suddenly, he has had it mildly before but this time....well they called out five vets stayed up all night with him, checking on him. In the end he was sweating so badly from the pain that they called the vet to put him to sleep. I said goodbye to him today. He was still lying in his stable. I have seen many a dead animal, but seeing him like that...it was indescribable. When Harry and Twinks died we expected it, they were becoming more and more ill and we begged for death to come swiftly, but for Tom? Flicka had him for 30 yrs and 11 yrs ago were told that he only had a couple of months to live, he lived for another 11 yrs. He defeated the odds.  That's why the pain of his passing hurts so much more, we were not ready for him to die, I wasn't. One thing for sure is that Tom was one of the best, a loving and carefree horse, who always managed to capture the hearts of every person who came across him. I will never forget him. RIP.

Tom 1977 - 2011

Picture





It is with great sadness and a heavy heart to tell you we lost our beautiful 'Tom' at 11.45pm 24.12.11.

Thank you Tom for sharing your life with us and bringing us years of joy, pleasure and love. You will be sorely missed every day xxx






No comments:

Post a Comment